Thursday, January 27, 2011

Nadal Slammed

Early on Nadal was hurting.  It turned out to be a left thigh injury.  But, let's get one thing straight, Nadal is no Jay Cutler...


"The tennis career, you have higher moments and lower moments. I had almost all the time very, very happy moments and very nice moments in my career. That's part of the sport. Last year I was very lucky. I was healthy most of the year. I was playing unbelievable during all the year. This year I did I think all the right things to start the season playing really well. And, seriously, I was playing like this in the first exhibition in Abu Dhabi. After that starts the problem. Was a difficult month for me, no? That's part of the sport. Accept; keep working; try my best in the next tournament. That's what I can do."


"I hate the retirements, so this wasn't the day. I did last year. I hate that moment. I didn't want to repeat that."


It was tough to watch because we could see that Nadal wasn't 100% but you never knew when he could make a great shot or pull out a few points.  David Ferrer played very well given the circumstances.  


The problem for Nadal is that his game is to be physical and punishing.  That is his edge to a large extent.  He cannot handle these injuries the way a Pete Sampras could when he was #1.  Pete still had his serve and his moments of power, he played through back pain and illnesses.


In the semi I do not think Ferrer will trouble Murray very much.  Unfortunately he doesn't match up very well with Murray in my opinion.  He won't be able to hurt Murray.  Versus Nadal he had a plan to come to net and it worked quite well in the match.  I doubt he will pursue that against Murray, but I don't know that it would matter.  Up or back, I don't see where he would find the advantage.

No comments:

Post a Comment