Wednesday, January 26, 2011

G'day Australia Day (Speed Kills)

In Murray Dolgopolov we learned a little wrinkle to tennis strategy.  I had always been coached to approach the net on a strong (deep) shot to my opponent's backhand.  This gives the best chance of a put away on the next shot.  However, last night we saw that Murray moves so well and has a solid enough backhand that Dologopolov was losing when he approached to the backhand side.  The reason was that, when he approached to the backhand, it would naturally lead to an open court play to Murray's forehand side.  Where Murray would promptly make a pass on the run!  Speed kills, especially when it leads to a forehand passing opportunity.


Speed also killed in Djokovic vs Berdych.  Djoker was just too much.  His abbreviated directional backhand was too good and his loopy forehand dipped in time and time again.  The tale of the tape (Brad Gilberts checkmark method) was very tight, but "speed kills" was the determinant.  The trump card.
   I will be very interested to see how Federer attacks Djokovic tonight.  Will he try to step in and take time away from Novak?  I think Djoker wins the longer rallies.  He is moving so well right now.  I think Fed will look rally up the middle of the court until he gets a one time shot to pull Novak way wide on a shorter, angled, spinning shot.  Don't be surprised to also see serve-and-volley plays.
  If Djokovic can serve a high 1st serve %, I really like his chances.  I believe Fed will find himself forced to hit the extra shots, and from what I have seen so far, I'm not sure he is up to it...

No comments:

Post a Comment